Thursday, December 4, 2008

From Nels

Dear Brothers and Sisters,
    Greetings from Peru!  It is a blessing to be here once again.  I am very much looking forward to all that the Lord has for me during this time.  Currently I am in Arequipa with a group from North Carolina which is going to be adding on to a christian school. I´ll probably spend some time working on it as well, though my main purpose here in Arequipa is to do a few weeks of Spanish study.  Although my Spanish is greatly improved from when I came here a year and a half ago it is definitely not where I need it to be in relation to what I want to do.  Last year I had more of excuse, it being my first time in South America.  This year as I step into the work I´m wanting to be personally involved in a deeper way, which means there must be an increased ability to communicate.  Please be praying that I would have a ready mind to grasp more of the language over the next few weeks.  I already feel more comfortable communicating than I did Tuesday when we arrived, It doesn´t take long to start coming back when your surrounded by it!  I also ask that you would pray not not only that I would be prepared linguistically during this time, but also that there would be true heart preparation for the months ahead as well.
    Things went very well with our trip down, especially considering that two families with children were with us.  We left Cleveland NC Sunday at midnight and traveled by car to Florida.  Our flight was supposed to leave Fort Lauder dale Florida at five, but due to one of the pilots not showing up on time we didn´t leave until after seven that evening for Lima.  From there it was a mere eighteen hours by bus until we arrived as exhausted as one can only be after traveling for over fifty hours.  One nice thing about traveling long distances is that it gives one ample time to meditate and ponder what ones lies ahead.  The reasons which would compel one to go so many thousand miles I trust is seen in the sincere desire to see the Name of Christ lifted up on the earth.  Let us look upon this world with the eyes of Jesus!  I want my heart to burn with the same ardent flame as the heart of He which give His life as a testimony to the love which He bore for His fathers name.  May it also be said of my life, ¨the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up¨!  Such is my prayer as my time begins here in South America, and for such I ask for your prayers as I enter into what the Lord has for me here.  What a privilege it is that the Lord Jesus invites us to be His ambassadors.  I for one, do not what to take that commission lightly.  ¨But thanks be to God which always causeth us to triumph in Christ Jesus!

I´m looking forward to sharing my experiences with you, and thank you for your willingness to be involved.  
To Christ alone be all the glory, Nels

No comments: